OUR TECHNOLOGY & SOLUTION
OxByEl Cost-Effectively Destroys PFAS
OxByEl’s proprietary, patent-pending system is a result of applying effective electrochemical processes to a cutting-edge reactor architecture and electrode design. OXbyEL is commercializing a radically new approach in electro-oxidative technology that is low cost, energy efficient and scalable. OXbyEL is commercializing a total organic fluorine (TOF) Electrolyzer capable of single-step PFAS mineralization with no secondary waste and no costly chemicals.
The single-step, direct electron transfer mineralization process provides complete PFAS decomposition by oxidation to benign fluoride ion and CO2 end-products with no harmful degradation by-products.
The OXbyEL TOF Electrolyzer incorporates a scalable, divided radial-field unit cell architecture with a low-cost anode electrocatalyst that provides direct electron transfer oxidation and electro-sorption for the highest rates of mineralization. The radial field configuration provides two degrees of freedom which is adaptable to large-scale industrial use. TOF and many emerging co-contaminants are completely mineralized in minutes.
Unlike these other processes, our technology:
- Completely destroys precursors, long- and short- chain PFAS, rather than just capturing and retaining them
- Is relatively insensitive to influent water quality parameters that negatively impact incumbent processes’ effectiveness
- Destroys PFAS co-contaminants and diminishes COD, and oxidizes characteristic water ions in industrial water and in groundwater
- Has short reactor residence time
- Results in low energy consumption
- Is scalable at various water volume treatment demands
- Does not require chemical additions to facilitate the process, which creates secondary contamination
- Creates no secondary waste
- Treats highly concentrated industrial wastewater and lower concentrations of PFASs in groundwater and drinking water
- Occupies a small footprint
Treatment of COD and PFASs is accomplished by direct catalytic mineralization combined with indirect OH* oxidation on the anode surface. High destruction efficiencies have resulted in small and scalable electrode surface areas, low energy consumption, and very short reactor residence time. The OxByEl proprietary, continuous flow, single pass process is also distinguished by its ability to treat water and wastewater directly from the source or in a system integrated into an existing treatment process.